Save the Date for a Workshop on: Assessing Legal Reforms:
Opportunities for Strengthening Remedies and Responses to Sexual Violence in Haiti
KOFAVIV and MADRE are honored to invite you to participate in the interactive workshop Assessing Legal Reforms: Opportunities for Strengthening Remedies and Responses to Sexual Violence in Haiti. The goal of the workshop is to create an open dialogue on comparative legislative reform efforts that address gender-based violence.
Co-sponsors include the Gender, Law and Policy Project at the City University of New York (CUNY) School of Law; the Nobel Women’s Initiative; and the International Campaign to Stop Rape & Gender Violence in Conflict. The workshop will convene on Wednesday, February 6, 2013 in Pétion-ville Haiti. Speakers include representatives from the Haitian government and international and domestic experts, including:
- Ms. Rashida Manjoo, United Nations Special Rapporteur on Violence Against Women Its Causes and Consequences;
- Me. René Magloire, former Minister of Justice and member of the Presidential Commission on Judicial Reform;
- Ms. Michelle Anderson, Dean and Faculty at CUNY Law School;
- Mr. René Fernando Urueña Hernández, Professor and Director of the International Law Program at the Universidad de los Andes in Bogota, Colombia;
- Moderator: Ms. Margaret Satterthwaite, Professor of Clinical Law and Director, Global Justice Clinic.
This gathering will build on the success and momentum generated by two prior conferences on the issue of gender-based violence in Haiti, held in 2012. Also available are the post-conference report from the February 7 conference and the post-conference report from the June 20 conference.