CHRGJ is seeking a full-time Communications Director for a new Project on Justice and US National Security, with an effective start date of early September 2013. The position may be located in either New York City or Washington, DC. The Project involves a new online platform for dynamic content and substance aimed at informing policy discussions around law and US national security issues. The Communications Director will have an exciting opportunity to strategically build and develop both an online and media presence for the Project, working with some of the leading experts in the field. The Communications Director will report directly to the Managing Editor and to associated faculty. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience, with a generous vacation and benefits package.
To apply, please send a CV, cover letter, names and contact information for three references, and a writing sample to: Sophia Kim at email@example.com by August 14th.
Job Description: Primary Duties and Skills Sought
Press and Public Outreach
- Organize and facilitate press calls;
- Help plan and organize press events;
- Develop and maintain useful press lists;
- Assist with developing, researching and executing marketing and outreach strategies;
- Strategically identify opportunities in response to breaking news and in advance of media opportunities forthcoming in the news cycle;
- Monitor television and radio news for opportunities to pitch contributing experts to national news programs. Build relationships with both radio and television bookers and producers;
- Experience in pitching reporters and developing and maintaining reporter relationships a plus
- Experience in pitching and placing op-eds and letters to the editor a plus
- Communications experience with congressional and other government institutions a plus
Social Media/Web Management
- Oversee Project’s Facebook and Twitter platforms;
- Oversee monitoring of web traffic statistics;
- Manage and grow both Facebook and Twitter following;
- Experience promoting social/digital content a plus.
- Oversee formatting of content for Project’s website (under development);
- Organize and maintain website.
- Recruit and manage interns;
- Help with incremental updates in website design and development;
- Experience with WordPress a plus.